NCYC is intended for Catholic students in high school. NFCYM understands that participation requires students to miss school days. We encourage young people to seek the time off from school as an excused absence. To that end, we provide an Excused School Absence Memo. Regardless of whether time away from school is excused, NFCYM strives to make the experience one that will be encouraging, supportive, and life-changing for all those who attend.
Leadership in NCYC Programming
NFCYM values the participation of young people in programming. There are several ways in which youth can take a featured role in NCYC: as an Ambassador, through NCYC's Top Talent, or as an animator on the main stage.
The Youth Ambassador program allows for more participation in NCYC by young people from across the country. Each delegation is encouraged to send multiple teams (a team consists of four youth and one adult liaison) from their diocese. These youth leaders will provide a welcoming presence and assist with specific tasks at NCYC. Delegations are asked to designate one adult liaison for each team of four youth ambassadors to help coordinate their participation on site. There is no limit to the number of teams a delegation may submit.
Before: Participate in online training prior to NCYC
During: Participate in a one hour orientation meeting at NCYC. Youth Ambassadors will assist—primarily at workshops and mega-workshops—by:
- Greeting participants at the doors
- Leading prayer
- Introducing speakers and performers and assisting as needed
- Facilitate flow of traffic in and out of session rooms
- Provide support to presenter(s)
- Participate in all assignments given
After: Participate in online evaluation.
The Youth Ambassador program is open to young people who meet the following requirements:
- In high school in the fall 2017
- Active in youth ministry
- Comfortable and confident in leading prayer
- An enthusiastic faith witness
- Exhibits a welcoming presence
- Recommended by youth minister/campus minister
- Ambassadors are to be chosen by the delegation leader or his/her designate by September 30, 2017.
- Selection should be based on the eligibility requirements and recommendations as defined above.
- An Ambassador Team includes up to four young people and one adult liaison. Delegations are encouraged to create as many Teams as they wish.
- Delegations should inform young people of their status by September 30, 2017.
- NFCYM must receive Youth Ambassador Registrations online no later than Monday, September 30. NFCYM will then communicate directly with the young people and adult liaisons details regarding training and orientation.
- Those who register by the deadline can be assured to work one large mega- session and one smaller workshop session. We are not able to accommodate individual requests for sessions/speakers with an event of this size.
- Teams will be scheduled together. Schedules will be provided at onsite orientation.
- Online Training - Ambassador team members should view the online training materials and review any pertinent information prior to arrival at NCYC. Links to online training will be sent in early October to all registered teams.
- Adult Liaison Webinar - a special informational webinar for adult liaisons will be held on Tuesday, October 31 from 2:00 - 2:30 PM ET to review logistics and scheduling details. REGISTER HERE. The webinar will be recorded and the recording link will be sent out to all not able to attend the live session.
- Onsite Orientation - All ambassadors and liaisons must also attend the onsite orientation meeting in Lucas Oil Stadium from 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm on Thursday, November 16, 2017. A make-up session will be held on Friday, November 17, 2017, at 8:15 am.
The fee for participation in the Youth Ambassador program is $10 per Youth Ambassador (no charge for Adult Liaison.) The fee covers the cost of t-shirts to be worn by ambassadors during assignments at NCYC.
To register a Youth Ambassador Team, click here.
NCYC's Top Talent
NCYC’S Top Talent is a talent contest held during the 2017 NCYC. Contestants must be high school students in attendance at the 2017 NCYC in Indianapolis. Audition videos/demo recordings will be accepted until October 31. Contestants will be chosen to audition in person at NCYC on Friday, November 17, with the top ten finalists performing on Saturday, November 18, in front of a live audience and a panel of expert judges who will select a winner. For details on how to enter, visit www.ncycstoptalent.org.
In the past, NFCYM has held open auditions for young people to fulfill roles on the main stage. This method of identifying young talent has not fully reflected the diversity of the young church. Further, drawing from so many different communities has made it difficult to fully prepare young people for the roles they play in programming. For 2017, NFCYM will be working directly with select delegation leaders and others to identify youth vocalists, dancers and/or movement groups, and presiders and readers for prayer elements and lectors for Mass.